The first settlers of Lassen County taught their children at thome.
As the area grew, private schools were run by prominent citizens.
Students supplies all their own materials and did their lessons on slateboards.
Students typically enjoyed the following activities in their free
time: jacks, ice-skating, baseball, tag, hopscotch, blind-man's-bluff,
in-and-out-the-window, and football.
Teachers usually boarded with a local family and did theor own custodial
work such as sweeping the floors, filling gas or coal lanterns,
bringing in wood for the woodstove, and water from a nearby well or
Children went to school from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. They had two
fifteen-minute recesses and a full hour to eat lunch. School was in
session nine months of the year with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years,
and Easter off. Students were also excused if necessary during
planting and harvesting times.
Desks were made of wood and iron. Two students sat at each desk.
Students studied physiology, astronomy, bookkeeping, reading, word
analysis, writing, mathematics, grammar, geography, history, spelling,
algebra, and geometry. Students were not issued graded, but either
passed or failed based on examinations. As discipline, teachers used
either a leather strap, a switch, or a board.
Girls almost always wore dresses. However, when riding horses to
school they might wear overalls over their dresses until they arrived at
school. Boys wore overalls or pants and shirts. To get to school most
students walked, but other rode horses, drove carts, or skied in the
The first school districts were organized in June, 1864. There were:
Susanville, Richmond, Susan River, Janesville, Long Valley, and Lake
School Districts. Richmond, establisted in 1865, is the oldest school
district still in operation.
Information presented on this page was researched and contributed by: